The Blue Card Scheme
Available free of charge* to personal disabled members, the Boaters’ Blue Card is primarily an ‘awareness’ sign; intended to inform others that there may be someone aboard the boat who could be less aware of, or less able to react to, passers-by. It is hoped that this will help to generate understanding and consideration from fellow waterways users. It bears a simple, clear, generic logo that does not state the nature of the bearer’s disability. That could be added, if desired, by way of a separate sign beside the Blue Card.
The Boaters’ Blue Card is a 15cm square ‘badge’ made of durable, waterproof material (similar to a credit card), for optional display in a member’s boat windows (one each side). It is to tell passers-by and waterways staff/volunteers that there is a disabled person aboard. The Boaters’ Blue Card will not carry any entitlement to moor in otherwise restricted/forbidden spots.
With the Blue Card in the window, it will be easier for lock-keepers to know that you may need or appreciate additional help. This is to acknowledge that it often takes longer, and a lot more energy, for a disabled person to get anywhere than it does for our able-bodied friends.
It is our intention to campaign for Card Holder concessions once the scheme becomes better known. We are open to suggestions, and will work with our members to make boating as easy as possible for all.
How do I apply?
The Boaters’ Blue Card is free, and only available to disabled members. Simply click on the button below to order yours. Additional cards (if required) are available for a small extra cost.
The card will be valid for two years and will then need to be renewed.
If you wish to proceed, then click on the button below (opens in a new window).
Terms & Conditions
The Blue Card:
- remains the property of the Accessible Waterways Association (AWA) and must be returned if these terms are breached
- for optional display in your boat windows
- must only be displayed when the person to whom it was issued is aboard or needing to access the boat
- does not infer any rights or privileges to any particular mooring location, but can show justification for mooring on a designated accessible mooring
- is valid for a 2-year period. An expired card must not be used or displayed under any circumstances
- will not be reissued automatically. Holders must submit up-to-date proof of entitlement
* One pair of cards issued free of charge. Additional badges may be purchased at £5.00 each plus p&p.